20 Healthy Tips for the HolidaysPosted by Medicare Made Clear
Now that we’re smack dab in the middle of the holidays, it’s time to party! But just because it’s a season of celebration doesn’t mean you should throw all sensibilities out the window and eat, drink and be as merry as you wish. You can still enjoy your favorite holiday treats, but do so in moderation.
Here are a few simple tips that may help keep you healthy during the holiday season.
1. Get plenty of rest and maintain your regular sleeping habits.
2. Stay physically active and don’t ditch your workout just because you overate the night before. Forgive yourself and move on.
3. Hide holiday treats. Out of sight, out of mind.
4. The holidays can create havoc on your daily routine. Create a system to remind you to take your medications.
5. Get your flu shot.
6. Don’t smoke and limit your alcohol consumption.
7. Don’t spend what you can’t afford.
8. Reach out to family or friends if you’re feeling lonely.
9. Don’t get all stressed out. The holidays are short-lived and a new year is right around the corner.
10. Don’t neglect yourself. If you don’t feel well, see your doctor.
At a Party
11. Eat a healthy snack before you leave home. You won’t be as tempted to over indulge at the buffet table.
12. Limit your alcohol consumption and don’t drink and drive.
13. Fill up on healthy foods at the buffet table.
14. Enjoy the foods you love, but do so in moderation.
15. Avoid wasted calories and skip the foods you can do without.
16. Walk away from the buffet table and mingle. It’s about the people, not the food.
17. Watch this video
Out and About
18. Dress properly for your climate.
19. It’s flu season. Wash your hands often.
20. Make sure your vehicle is well maintained to help reduce the risk of break downs.
21. Bring extra medications with you when traveling out of town.
For more healthful holiday tips, join the sing-along with the CDC’s 12 Ways to Health.
Have a happy, healthy and safe holiday season.
For more information, explore MedicareMadeClear.com or contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048.
Holiday Health and Safety Tips: CDC.gov
Feeling Your Best During the Holidays and Beyond: MedicareMadeClear.com