3 Good Reasons to Shop for a New Medicare PlanPosted by Medicare Made Clear
Many people choose a plan when they first enroll in Medicare and then never look back. They simply stay with the same plan year after year. In general, Medicare Advantage and Part D plans automatically renew every year if you don’t take any action.
Automatic plan renewal may make it easy, but it still makes sense to review your current plan benefits. Coverage and costs may change from year to year, as can your health care needs.
You should receive an Annual Notice of Changes (ANOC) from your Medicare Advantage or Part D plan every fall. The ANOC details your plan benefit changes for the upcoming year. Be sure to review it to learn what your coverage and costs will be.
Here are three reasons why you may want to shop around for a different plan. The questions could help you decide if you have a good reason to.
1. Save Money
- How much are your plan premiums?
- What deductibles will you owe?
- What co-pays and coinsurance amounts will you be responsible for?
- Will you be covered for the health care services you usually use?
- What planned surgeries or other health care services do you need to consider?
2. Use the Doctors, Pharmacies and Hospitals You Prefer
- Are your doctors or other providers in your plan network?
- Are you willing to choose a different doctor to stay within a plan network?
3. Manage Your Medications and Prescription Drug Costs
- Are the prescription drugs you take on your plan’s formulary? In which tiers?
- What will your co-pay be when you fill a prescription?
- Will your co-pay be different for generic versus brand-name drugs?
- Has your doctor recently prescribed any new medications for you?
- Have you recently stopped taking any prescription drugs?
For more information, explore MedicareMadeClear.com or contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048.