Medicare Open Enrollment Boot Camp: Getting StartedPosted by Medicare Made Clear
The first in a series of eight articles to help you make informed Medicare coverage decisions
Welcome to Medicare Open Enrollment Boot Camp. Our goal is to help you prepare and feel confident about making your 2014 Medicare coverage decisions.
Medicare Open Enrollment starts on October 15 and runs through December 7. This is the time each year when you can change your coverage choices. The changes go into effect on January 1 of the following year. So any changes you make during this year’s Open Enrollment will go into effect on January 1, 2014.
During Medicare Open Enrollment you can:
- Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan or vice versa.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another.
- Switch from one Medicare prescription drug plan to another.
- Keep the coverage you currently have.
What’s In It for You?
If your coverage worked for you this year, why bother to think about it at all? It may seem that simple. But there are good reasons to give some attention to Medicare Open Enrollment.
Things change. Medicare or your plan may have changed what it covers or how much you have to pay. Or your own needs may be different now. If you keep your current coverage, you may find that things aren’t covered that you thought would be or that they cost more.
Medicare Open Enrollment is your chance to make sure that you have the coverage that may best fit your needs. Our Boot Camp series offers you help and support every step of the way.
We will post one Boot Camp article each week for the next seven weeks. Articles will provide information and tools to help you define your needs and understand your coverage choices. In between articles, you’ll have time apply what you learn to your own situation and get ready for the next topic.
Here are just a few examples of what we’ll cover:
- What the Health Care Marketplace (Health Exchanges) means for Medicare
- How to assess your current Medicare coverage and how it’s working for you
- Ways you can customize Medicare coverage to fit your needs
- Where to find information about Medicare plans offered where you live
- How to compare coverage and costs
View the rest of the posts in the Medicare Open Enrollment Boot Camp series below, and be prepared to make an informed decision about your Medicare coverage for 2014.
- Get Smart, Be Prepared: Find out where to look for reliable information about your Medicare choices.
- Two Paths to Medicare: Learn about the main differences between Original Medicare (Parts A and B) and Medicare Advantage (Part C).
- Medicare Coverage to Fit Your Needs: Get information and tools to help identify your needs and compare them to Medicare coverage choices.
- To Change or Not to Change Medicare Coverage: Learn how to evaluate your current Medicare coverage to help decide whether you need to make a change.
- Review Your Prescription Drug Coverage: Find out about Medicare drug plans, formularies, pharmacy networks and other things you need to consider when choosing your coverage.
- Find and Compare Plans: Learn how to find out about—and compare—the plans offered where you live.
- It’s Time to Decide: A look at all the decisions and considerations you’ll need to make now that it’s time to select your Medicare coverage.
For more information, contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048. If you have questions about Medicare Made Clear, call 1-877-619-5582, TTY 711, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. local time, seven days a week.
MedicareMadeClear.com: Learn about Medicare and get tools to help with decision making.