Still One Week Left to Change Your 2014 Medicare CoveragePosted by Medicare Made Clear
Has your health changed over the past year? Changes to your health might mean it’s time to make changes to your Medicare coverage.
If your Medicare coverage still fits your needs, you don’t have to do anything. Your coverage will continue in 2014. If your health or life circumstances have changed, you still have time to make changes to your coverage for next year.
Medicare Open Enrollment for 2014 ends at midnight on December 7, 2013. Here are the changes you can make during this time:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to a different Medicare Advantage plan.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage to a plan that does.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage plan that offers drug coverage to one that doesn’t.
- Join a Medicare prescription drug plan.
- Switch from one Medicare prescription drug plan to a different Medicare prescription drug plan.
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely. (You may be charged a penalty if you decide you want this coverage again later.)
Our Open Enrollment Boot Camp series may be of help if you are still undecided about making changes. It offers eight articles with tools that walk through the decision-making process.
If you’re ready to look for plans offered in your area, you can go to Medicare.gov and use the online Plan Finder tool. You may also wish to discuss your options with a counselor from your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).
For most people, the next opportunity to make changes to Medicare coverage will be next year’s Medicare Open Enrollment, October 15-December 7, 2014. Now is the time to take action if you think you may need or want different coverage from what you have now. Any changes you make will go into effect on January 1, 2014.
For more information, contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048. If you have questions about Medicare Made Clear, call 1-877-619-5582, TTY 711, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. local time, seven days a week.
Medicare.gov: Review or join plans on the official U.S. government website for Medicare.
Show Me Guide: Get basic information to help understand your choices.