| Tue, Dec 08, 2015 @ 09:00 AM

Breathe Easy. Medicare Part B Covers Oxygen Equipment

Posted by Medicare Made Clear

dmeDo you need oxygen therapy and you are worried about how you’re going to pay for it? Breathe easy. Oxygen equipment is considered Durable Medical Equipment (DME). Medicare Part B covers durable medical equipment if your doctor prescribes it and it meets the following requirements:

  • It’s durable (long-lasting)
  • It’s used for a medical reason
  • It’s usually used only by someone who is sick or injured
  • It’s used in your home

Where You Live Matters

If you have Original Medicare and live in a competitive bidding area, you must get most durable medical equipment such as oxygen from a select group of suppliers chosen by Medicare.

Competitive bidding areas use what are called contract suppliers. Only contract suppliers in the area can bill Medicare for competitive bidding items. Most states are a part of the competitive bidding area. The exceptions include Alaska, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming.

If you don’t live in a competitive bidding area, call 800-Medicare or go to www.medicare.gov/supplier to find out who in your area accepts assignment, which means they accept Medicare’s approved amount as full payment. It’s important to remember that just because a supplier is approved by Medicare does not always mean they accept assignment.

Your Costs

If you get your durable medical equipment from a contract supplier, Medicare Part B will pay 80 percent of the approved amount and you will pay the other 20 percent. Your Medicare Part B deductible applies.

If you get your durable medical equipment from a non-contract supplier, you may have to pay the full cost of the equipment out-of-pocket.

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare supplement plan, your out-of-pocket costs may differ. Call the number on the back of your member ID card to talk to a customer service representative.

For more information, explore MedicareMadeClear.com or contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048.

Resources:

Competitive Bidding Area: Medicare.gov

Find a Durable Medical Equipment supplier near you: Medicare.gov

Medicare Part B Coverage: Medicare Made Clear

 

Y0066_150822_220436 Accepted