Take a Lot of Meds? See if You Qualify for a Medication ReviewPosted by Medicare Made Clear
Do you take more than one medication and find the whole experience confusing? If you have a Medicare drug plan and take medication for more than one chronic health condition, you may qualify for Medication Therapy Management (MTM) at no additional out-of-pocket cost to you.
The purpose of the Medication Therapy Management program is to help you and your doctor make sure that your medications are working to help improve your health.
In order to be eligible for the program, you must meet all of these conditions:1
- You have more than one chronic health condition.
- You take several different medications.
- Your medications have a combined cost of more than $3,138 per year. This dollar amount (which can change each year) is estimated based on your out‑of‑pocket costs and the costs your plan pays for the medications each calendar year. Your plan can help you find out if you may reach this dollar limit.
Here’s How it Works
A pharmacist or another qualified health professional will give you a comprehensive review of all your medications and then talk with you about:2
- How to get the most benefit from the drugs you take
- Medication and out-of-pocket costs, drug reactions or other concerns
- How to take your medications correctly
- Any questions or problems you have about your prescription and over-the-counter medications
You’ll get a written summary of this discussion and an action plan recommending what you can do to help make the best use of your medications. You’ll also get a personal medication list that will include all the medications you’re taking and why you take them. Be sure to bring this list with you each time you go to the doctor or hospital.
Schedule your Medicare Annual Wellness Visit soon after you’ve had your Medication Therapy Management review. You and your doctor will go over the list and make any necessary changes.
If you take several medications for more than one chronic health condition, contact your Medicare drug plan to see if you’re eligible for a Medication Therapy Management program.
For more information, explore MedicareMadeClear.com or contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048.
Medicare Part D Coverage – Prescription Drug Plans: Medicare Made Clear
Medicare.gov: Visit the official U.S. government site for Medicare.
Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program, Medicare & You, Medicare.gov
1 Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program, Medicare & You, Medicare.gov, December 2014
2 Medication Therapy Management Programs for Complex Health Needs, Medicare.gov, February 17, 2015