Parts of Medicare Basics – Part BPosted by Medicare Made Clear
The best place to start learning about Medicare is with the basics – with Parts A, B, C and D. The second in a four-blog series, this month’s “Medicare Basics” blog will focus on Medicare Part B.
Medicare Part B is one part of what is known as Original Medicare, which is administered by the federal government and also includes Medicare Part A. Part B covers your doctor visits, most doctor services you receive as a hospital inpatient, most routine and emergency medical services, and for some preventative care items.
What Medicare Part B Covers
Medicare Part B provides coverage for a variety of doctor and outpatients visits and services including routine doctor visits, some preventative items such as flu shots or screenings, diagnostic tests such as X-rays, emergency room services and more. Watch the below video (or see the bulleted list below for a complete list).
List of health items and services covered by Part B:
- Doctor visits
- Ambulatory surgery center services
- Outpatient medical services
- Some preventative care (like flu shots)
- Some preventative health screenings (like a mammogram or colonoscopy)
- Clinical laboratory services (like blood and urine tests)
- X-rays, MRIs, CT Scans, EKGs and other diagnostic tests
- Durable medical equipment (like wheelchairs, walkers and power scooters)
- Emergency room services
- Part-time, intermittent skilled nursing care and health aid services for the homebound
- Mental health care when you’re an outpatient
You can always talk to your health care provider about what services you may need, or medical supplies, and whether or not Medicare will cover them. Sometimes, a service or item may be covered only under certain conditions.
How Much Does Medicare Part B Cost in 2020?
Unlike Part A, which is premium-free for most people, everyone pays a monthly Part B premium. The standard Part B premium for 2020 is $144.60. However, your Part B premium cost will depend on your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years prior (for 2020, use your income from 2018).
Depending on your income, your Part B premium could cost anywhere from $144.60 up to $491.60.
- Determine my Part B premium amount
- Read this blog for five ways to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
Part B also includes a deductible and copayments for most medical services, durable medical equipment and outpatient mental health care.
- For 2020, the Part B deductible is $198.
- For 2020, the Part B copayment for covered medical services, durable medical equipment and outpatient mental health care is 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount. (The amount a provider accepting Medicare assignment can be paid. You pay the remaining 80 percent.)
For more information about Medicare, explore MedicareMadeClear.com or contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048.Tags: Medicare Part B, medicare part b coverage, medicare part b enrollment, medicare part b premium, Understanding Medicare